Crane & Co., Inc., a premier manufacturer of fine stationery, currency and nonwoven papers, currently has an opening for a Process Engineer within the R&D and Technology Center in our Currency Papers Division.
The incumbent will be responsible for evaluating existing processes and configuring manufacturing systems to reduce cost, improve sustainability and develop best practices within the production process. The position requires hands on working knowledge of process engineering tools. Preference will be given to technically competent, internally motivated, and results-oriented individuals.
- Support the current processes in manufacturing; "own the process"
- Optimize and troubleshoot the manufacturing processes. Develop innovative solutions
- Improve process capability while maintaining and improving quality standards using tools such as statistical process control to make data based decisions
- Develop protocol to prepare samples for physical and chemical testing eg: tear, tensile, fold, pH extract residual Cl etc. Collect, record, and transcribe data. Show results in reports.
- Develop and implement systems that optimize all phases of production process
- Research and assist in assessing new manufacturing technology
- Work with Engineering on equipment designs to develop a cost-effective process and working solutions to improve quality and productivity
- Apply a sound basic knowledge of safety, environmental and energy-related issues during the execution of projects
- Coordinate mill scale-up and validation trials, working closely with the R&D product development group on new products and product modifications
- BA/BS Degree from accredited college/university or equivalent experience required. Emphasis on the Technical fields of study. Preferably a degree in Chemistry, Paper Science, or Chemical Engineering
- 2-5 years of process engineering experience in a manufacturing environment, including at least 1-2 years of experience in process engineering related to paper making
- Technical experience with paper making process, quality testing procedures relevant to testing intermediate process and final paper quality
- Training in Statistical Process Control, Six Sigma Green Belt/Black Belt training desired
- Demonstrated knowledge of mechanical and chemical testing procedures related to paper making
- Analytical trouble shooting experience. Demonstrated use of Six Sigma tools such as process mapping, FMEA, DOE, etc highly desirable to facilitate and run continuous improvement projects and process trouble shooting internally and for the customer
- Proven ability to build and maintain collaborative work relationships
- Flexible to change and open to constructive feedback
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Able to travel to Vendors and Customers on as needed basis for vendor development and customer support
- Must possess a driver’s license and vehicle for travel between Company sites
- Must be able to pass and maintain security clearance through the United States Treasury Department
Crane & Co. is one of the longest-standing companies within the banknote industry. Our group of companies has been making paper, developing security features and printing banknotes for more than 250 years. US currency paper, first produced by Crane in 1879, in many ways, set the standards for today’s range of banknote substrates. Our vision of the future is simple and clear – cash will continue to remain the single most preferred payments instrument, so long as our industry continues to evolve and embrace innovation. Our research and development programs advanced manufacturing facilities and comprehensive range of banknote products and services are symbols of our commitment to this future.
Also known for our high end Social and Business stationery, the Crane brand is one of the most recognizable names in stationery paper. The simple elegance of cotton papers have long made them the paper of choice for fine stationery and invitations. Crane & Co. has been providing the highest quality of craftsmanship to stationery since 1801.
Please e-mail resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Human Resources Manager
Crane & Co.